Tuesday, November 11, 2014

I Am Your Journeyman


I am no poet of the
   interior voyage.
But I am a journeyman,
   giving good effort
for wages or food.

I know the paths
    through caves and forests.
I know the edible fruit
    along the way.
I’ll show you the shallow fords
   across the river of tears.

Follow me
    picking the way through the woods
on black days. Heed this moonlight
    exalting the heart even through
this night of fear.

Caution now,
    there may be need for stealth.
Keep pace.
Keep close.
Keep faith.
Savor this good bread,
    considering without regret
the choices you have made.

We’ll arrive safely soon enough,
    resting on Thursday,
moving on, refreshed, on Friday.
    Along the way,
we’ll learn more trust,
   celebrating dews and frosts and thunder.

(This poem was included in Wild Once and Captured)


No comments: